So I finally had time to (semi) finish up my bathroom. As you know from my previous posts (found here and here), I've been wanting to give my master bathroom and update for a while. I bit the bullet this weekend and got the majority of it done. The room had a shabby chic feel that I'd grown tired of and I've exchanged it for something a tad bit more modern. I started with the shower curtain. I really like the fact that it's goes to the ceiling. It makes the room look ultra tall.
Here are a few highlights....
|I still need to paint my other chair and get a new cushion, this one is a stand in.|
Lastly, I decided to tackle a little DIY project that I've been contemplating for a while. My bathroom window needed a little something and I wasn't sold on a valance.
So I decided to cover a simple roller shade with a graphic fabric. The actual shade is extremely inexpensive. I picked one up from the local Wal-mart for about $5.00.
When I purchased it I knew the width was adjustable, but I had no idea how it worked. Thankfully, the instructions were pretty thorough. The rod works sort of like an adjustable tension rod. The excess can be torn or cut away. Not too hard.
If you've hung any type of drapery rod or blind, the bracket is pretty simple too. It's sold separately, but at $.99 that's no big deal.
I actually forgot to purchase fabric glue so I used a hot glue gun. I only purchased a yard of fabric, figuring that even if it didn't cover the entire shade, it would at least cover enough to take care of the length of the small window. Turns out, it was the perfect length.
I simple laid out the fabric and left about 1 1/2" of excess on each side and the bottom to fold over and glue. When I was done, I just rolled up the shade and installed it into the brackets.
Viola! I'm still working on getting the tension right so that it retracts properly, but I really like the look of it.
It also blocks out quite a bit of light and the graphic print provides some visual interest.
Dear Santa Claus, .....